The primary purpose of this position is the preparation of three meals a day for the residents of Vineyard Assisted Living Community. Responsible for the quality of the food prepared and portion control. Provide assistance in the planning of the menu. Plays a key role in providing enticing and nutritious meals which will promote the health and well-being of elders. The Cook is delegated the authority, responsibility and accountability necessary for carrying out the assigned duties. The Cook is accountable to the Dietary Supervisor. Mandatory meetings must be attended when scheduled. The Cook must be able to stand for long periods of time, walk short distances, handle equipment (meat slicer, mixer, blender, stove, etc.), bend, stoop, turn, stretch and may need to perform heavy lifting. Assistive devices to prevent injury will be available as needed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Cook will:
- Prepare all food indicated on menu and follow prepared menu for residents.
- Communicate with other members of the caregiving team
- Schedule food preparation so meals are prepared on time.
- Estimate food requirements and use portion control to eliminate waste.
- Standardize recipes, test new recipes.
- May order supplies on Dietary Manager’s day off.
- Follow infection control procedures for food handling, preparation, storage and serving.
- Maintain sanitary food prep and kitchen area.
- Check food temperature in refrigerators and freezers routinely.
- Follow assignments for advance food preparation.
- Assist with putting away food products when delivered.
- May be required to work overtime in an emergency situation or to back up absent staff. Will be required to be available in case of natural disaster.
- Previous experience as a cook for a group of at least 40 people is desirable.
- Knowledge of infection control in handling, preparation, storage and serving of food.
- Ability to interact effectively with staff, other departments and residents.
- Basic knowledge of nutrition to assure well balanced, appealing meals with minimal loss of nutritional content.
- Knowledge of good body mechanics.
- Must be able to withstand continuous repetitive motion tasks (i.e. stirring / whisking, kneading, etc.)
- Must be able to lift 40 pounds from floor level to chest, stoop, bend, turn and stretch.
- Must also be able to sit or stand for prolonged periods of time and assist residents as needed.
Job Type: Full-time